Looking for a mouthwatering barbecue recipe that will leave your taste buds craving for more? Look no further than this delectable Johnny Cake BBQ recipe! With its irresistible flavors and finger-licking goodness, it’s guaranteed to be a hit at your next cookout. Whether you’re grilling for family and friends or simply enjoying a relaxing weekend, this recipe is a must-try!
Table of Contents
- What is Johnny cake called today? Discover its modern name
- 2 cups of cornmeal
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce
- 1 pound of cooked and shredded chicken
- Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Step 2: Add the milk, vegetable oil, and melted butter to the dry ingredients. Stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Step 3: Preheat your grill to medium heat. Grease a baking dish or cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Step 4: Pour half of the batter into the greased dish or skillet. Spread the shredded chicken evenly over the batter.
- Step 5: Drizzle half of the BBQ sauce over the chicken. Pour the remaining batter on top.
- Step 6: Place the dish or skillet on the preheated grill. Close the lid and cook for about 25-30 minutes, or until the Johnny Cake is golden brown and cooked through.
- Step 7: Remove from the grill and let it cool for a few minutes. Drizzle the remaining BBQ sauce over the top.
- Step 8: Slice into squares or wedges and serve hot. Enjoy the finger-licking deliciousness of your Johnny Cake BBQ!
What is Johnny cake called today? Discover its modern name
Johnny Cake is known by different names in various regions. In the southern United States, it is often referred to as cornbread. In the Caribbean, it is commonly known as journey cake or johnny bread. By understanding its modern names, you can explore the rich culinary heritage associated with this beloved dish.
Why Are My Johnny Cakes Hard? Discover the Secret to Perfectly Fluffy Johnny Cakes
If your Johnny Cakes are turning out hard instead of fluffy, don’t worry! The secret lies in the right balance of ingredients and cooking technique. Make sure to follow the recipe precisely, using the correct measurements and proportions. Additionally, cooking the Johnny Cakes over medium heat on the grill ensures a tender and fluffy texture.
What Sets Johnny Cakes Apart from Hoe Cakes: Unraveling the Distinctions
While Johnny Cakes and Hoe Cakes may seem similar, they have distinct differences that set them apart. Johnny Cakes are typically made with cornmeal, giving them a slightly grainy texture and sweet flavor. On the other hand, Hoe Cakes are made with a mixture of cornmeal and wheat flour, resulting in a lighter and crispier texture. Exploring these distinctions allows you to appreciate the unique characteristics of each dish.
Discover the Delectable Bahamian Johnny Cake: A Culinary Delight
The Bahamian Johnny Cake is a variation of this beloved dish that deserves special attention. With its rich history and unique ingredients like coconut milk and spices, the Bahamian Johnny Cake offers a delightful twist on the traditional recipe. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to indulge in this culinary delight!