Pecan, Date and Citrus Loaf
- 1 cup dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar you can substitute your favourite dry sweetener here
- 4 green apples for stewing you can use apple sauce if you don't want to stew your own apples
- 1 cup Mixed citrus peel
- Peel and dice four green apples and put into a saucepan over medium to high heat with a 1/4 cup of water. Stir often until and break down the pieces with your spoon.
- When the apple has turned to mush, take off the heat and set aside to cool. When cool, measure out 1 cup worth for the loaf.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6.5cm-deep, 9cm x 19cm (base) loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.
- Pour the maple syrup over the dates in and add the lukewarm water. Give it a stir and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Sift flour and bicarb soda together into a bowl. Add oats, pecans and sugar until all dry ingredients are well combined. Add the date mixture, stewed apple and mixed peel and stir until the whole lot is thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the mixture so the top is flat and even. Bake for around an hour or until you can poke a knife or skewer into the middle and it comes out mostly clean,